Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Natural Remedies

Something that I hadn't really thought about moving to another country is what I would learn about medicine. Today while I was at the cultural center I learned about the power of garlic. 2 cloves before bed in the winter will help me avoid the flu. Zhanna also suggested a flu shot… We had fresh garlic with lunch from Victoria's garden. I've NEVER had garlic that fresh before… fire in the mouth!

But tasty.

Igor' is here for a visit and I'm excited about talking to him and starting up our mentoring relationship. He took me around to a couple of markets and to the region where he lives in Tyumen during the school year. This is the region where I'll be taking Russian classes and teaching English, so it was nice to become a bit more familiar with the region.

Then he taught me about the healing properties of iodine. I've always thought of iodine as an antiseptic or sterilizer or something like that. He says that if you feel a chest cold coming on you should smear it across your chest. And if you feel like you're getting a cold you should smear it across the bottom of your feet. He says it works and that he never takes tablets (medicine).

I really find this very interesting - we'll see how healthy I can keep myself this year!

PS I learned how to pay for my electricity today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I knew about the garlic, but not the iodine! I'll have to try that.