Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Expect the unexpected in Russia

So this morning I got 2 phone calls from America. The first at 5am and the second at about 8am. I’m SO excited to hear from America, it doesn’t even matter if I’m wakened from deep sleep!

So once I got up, I headed to meet with Zhanna to conclude our agreement with the local internet provider. I was nervous, because everyone kept telling me to prepare for them to say no. Turns out that someone had internet installed nearby and the high-speed cable is actually already on the roof of my building! How rockin’ cool is that? So then with the help of Olga – we set it up! They even called today to set up the installation. Unfortunately (which I hear is a very common phrase here), they called back to say that an emergency arose and they won’t be able to come now… Zhal’ (that’s the Russian word for pity (meaning too bad)– it’s the first thought in my head). So it’ll be sometime in the next 10 days.

It’s kinda cool. Once the internet is installed (no need for a modem) – I buy these little cards (pretty much anywhere in the city) and that’s how they charge me. It’s nice because you only pay for what you use here. It’s not a set fee per month. It’s just like how my cell phone works. You only get charged for what you use. So awesome. And the cell phone only charges you for your outgoing calls… not incoming. Isn’t that sweet?

SIDE: just read an email from a friend of Amy and she was talking about Abraham before the destruction of Sodom. Abraham was ‘convincing’ G-d to require fewer and fewer uncorrupted people in order to save the city. I never thought of it before, but really there was no convincing. It was the original plan all along. How often do we think that we’re bargaining or convincing G-d of something different, when really we’re just realizing the original and best plan all along. Cool, huh? Thanks Angie.

No comments: