Tuesday, August 22, 2006

And the rain rain rain came down down down

So yesterday I learned about the Russian Winnie the Pooh movie. It is apparently hugely popular and everyone knows it. There was an instant and HUGE down pour yesterday and I learned the phrase, "tut tut, I think it's gonna rain" which Piglet always says in the Winnie the Pooh movie. Well, here Piglet says something like, "seems like the rain is gathering." It sounds really funny when Zhanna says it in Russian.

And today I had the opportunity to say this phrase with Igor! So funny. He recognized it and we both got a laugh until the rain really hit us in earnest… seriously - it blasted us.

We went to three different markets today to find various things and I'm proud to report the following projects are completed:

- the toilet is completely fixed. Two days already there's been a seat on my toilet, well now I don't have to turn the water on and off every time. We bought a new float and fixed it!

- I installed the new showerhead. I'm not only pleased that I installed it and it works great, but it's a WONDERFUL showerhead. It actually projects the water further into the tub so I don't have to stand next to the wall anymore. I can stand in the middle of the tub! Woo-hoo.

- We bought bolts so that I can attach the knobs on my closet drawers.

- and I finally have a salt shaker. I know that's a really silly point. But I've been looking ever since I got here and finally I found one that I like and it wasn't too expensive.

Igor' is going to teach me how to cook a Russian meal tonight. As best as I can tell - it's meatloaf and mashed potatoes - but it's called Cutlet and Potato Puree here.

We must have walked 5 miles today, which is great. I gotta try to keep in shape now that I've lost some weight. It's crazy that I've dropped 25 lbs in two months.

Sasha stopped buy today (Zhanna's husband) and now I've got a computer program to teach me to type in Russian! I'm excited about this. It'll be one more thing that I can occupy myself with while I'm in Estonia getting my visa.

Please THINK about the following: my invitation has not come yet for my second visa. It should have been here by now, and they're saying they should have it by Sunday. Well, I fly out on Sunday - so it's really going to be late. But I can get a copy emailed to me, so I'm not freaking out. Just mildly worried.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

The One who called you is faithful, and He will do it. I went to Nigeria this summer to teach d-sciple making and didn't get my invitation until 2 weeks before we left! I was freaking out. But Dad works all things out in His own time.

Thanks for the blog. It's encouraging to read about what's going on half-a-world away.

Zeb