Sunday, August 27, 2006

The longest day

I arose on this wonderful Sunday morning at 3am. I went to bed at 1am after packing… and I think I slept for maybe 2 hours. The morning started off with several highlights. Amy called first thing and we were able to talk just before I got the call that Zhanna and Sasha were on their way to pick me up in the taxi.

And we're off! Oh, and I had melon for breakfast… mmm. We don't have this melon in America. It's called Dinya. It's delicious.

So everything went great with getting me to St. Petersburg. The flight was on time (in fact I got there pretty early in the morning). The food on the plane was minimal, but a nice supplement to the Dinya (melon).

So I'll give you the quick overview of the day in St. Petersburg and more details about interesting stuff in additional entries.














Arrival + 2.5 hoursFinding where to buy the bus ticket
1 hourBuying the bus ticket
2 hours Finding internet to email all that I made it
8 hours Waiting and exploring (broken into several chunks call it recon if you will)
2 hoursVisiting really cool sites in St. Petersburg
1 hour Picking up my baggage
7 hours Bus to Estonia

Day transition here somewhere
2 hours Waiting for luggage holding to open
forever waiting to go to the bathroom because I didn't have a small enough bill to pay
2 hours Finding the center of Tallinn to wait for information to open
3 hours Searching for a place to live


And now I have a place to live, internet access, a rough idea of where I am in the city, a book about the city, and plenty of items to keep me focused on Him and Russian studies.

Please please please please keep pr-ying that my invitation comes quickly. In order to make my flight home, I need to get my visa by this Friday (unless there's some bigger miracle planned). Thanks

No comments: