Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The final day of hiking

Hours Hiked: 6
Craving: steak
Pity parties: 1

So I had my first pity party yesterday. It was our last evening actually camping and everyone was talking about what they wanted to eat, who they wanted to see, etc. We had quite a bit of time to sit around and just talk and, well, I just got totally left out. All the smokers went off to smoke the rest of their so carefully rationed cigarettes, even the two quietest ones paired up to go pick berries.

The worst of it wasn't really that. Because that's normal that groups split up. I just had my QT and a final opportunity to really enjoy the creation and nature all around me.

It was later on when we were all going to play cards. Then we ended up playing contact again. It just takes a LOT more language skill. And then people just kinda started ignoring me. That was the hard part.

So when we were talking about what we miss - after people, I want Outback. I want a big, juicy, delicious steak. And a bloomin' onion. With a really cold coke.

The hiking today was blissful. I can't even describe what the last day was like. After all the up, up and more up… this was flat, descent, and down ALL day. It was really nice. My feet hurt a little. The going down, of course, makes the tips of the toes hit the boots… which for me isn't the MOST pleasant experience right now. Overall - the easiest day of hiking by a LONG shot.

When we arrived at Visotnik, it was like a reunion. Andrusha, Lyosha, Sonya, and Marina were all there waiting for us. Sonya was running around hugging everyone, she was so excited! Then it was off to the river for our final 'natural' bathing experience and off to pick up Lena.

We were 2 days early by Lena's recollection so she was incredibly excited. She hadn't expected to see us so soon. So that was really fun. 15 more hours on the bus and we're back in Novosibirsk.

Bus ride highlights: Kostya gave special toasts to everyone in the group, we stopped at a roadside dance club for one of our pit stops (so funny to see Lena and Andrusha dancing together -- broken ankle and wrist!)

No comments: