Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Test!

Today I had several meetings at the University to get everything squared away before we begin (tomorrow). Everything went great. But I was surprised that Nina (the coordinator of this whole arrangement) called Tatiana (my Russian teacher) and set up another meeting with her TODAY!

So suddenly I'm in chairman of the Russian Language Program's office talking with the Director about my goals and why I want to study Russian (in Russian!) She asked me several questions, then asked if I would read some sentences for her and fill in the blanks.

She left the room. I said a prayer.

She returned with a book for me to read, the word 'TEST' was written on the cover. Ah ha! I'm being placed in my Russian ability. Yikes!

I made LOTS of mistakes, but overall she was very pleased and decided that I can continue to study with her! Phew! She assigned homework for tomorrow and is going to quiz me on noun endings and verbs tomorrow. She is very excited about my linguistic background and that I am 'not afraid' to speak. Ha! If she only knew.

Apparently lots of foreign language students don't like to talk... But if I'm ever going to get there... I gotta talk.

No comments: