Saturday, September 02, 2006

Let there be tea or the day Jeff conquers the Estonian market

So I know this is really silly. But I've really been missing a cup or two of tea each day. It's something that's just become a part of living in Russia… and I really wanted a cup of tea.

So I went to the market today - found out how to make tea without a tea kettle (you use this cool thing called a spiral -- which I'll take a picture of and show you) and then boil water in a mason jar. So now I can not only make tea, but I can make instant noodles in my room too -- which helps to save money!

To find out this information, I struck up a conversation with a nice woman in a market stall who looked like she would have the "spiral." Well, she didn't, but she told me what it was called and then gave me directions how to find it. The exciting thing is that I didn't even have to ask her to repeat her instructions, because I understood them the first time! So, now I have a spiral, a cup, tea, sugar -- and I just need to find out if I can drink tap water or if I need to buy bottled water. Tonight there will be tea AND ramen noodles (or vermicelli if you don't know what ramen noodles are -- that's for you Zhanna, Ramen are a brand of noodles in the US that basically every college student knows).

So I'm excited that I've got tea and that I had a real conversation with someone. It's my first real conversation since Monday. Okay - so I read that there's a way for me to get free wireless internet access. The problem is you need a cell phone. So I'm going to try and do this via the internet… we'll see if it works.

But that'll help me stay occupied. I found a WHOLE bunch of websites for teaching English as a foreign language - so I thought I'd continue building my syllabus for teaching. Did I mention that I found out when I'm teaching? Wednesdays and Fridays from 6:00 - 8:30. 4 classes total.

No comments: