Monday, September 11, 2006

Eating Chinese

So I finally broke down and went to the Chinese place that I found about 10 minutes from the hotel.  I ordered take out.  It was fantastic.  And spicy.  Here's the funny story:

 

So I'm walking down this ancient cobblestone street in a medieval town.  It's literally a throwback on this one street - the original fortress wall is still standing.  And then… Mr. Wong's is just there.  Big, hanging, red lanterns and bright colors and everything.  It's like something out of the Twilight Zone!  So the mouth-watering vapors draw me in and I can't resist any longer.

 

"Chicken with peanuts… and make it a little spicy?" I saw in my flawed Russian.  "Does it come with rice?"  She tells me no, so I ask for some rice too.  Here's the part where the story gets both confusing and funny.

 

She says, it'll be 90 extra.  (about 12 Kroons (crones) to the dollar and I'm thinking that she means .90 EEK)  No big deal.  No, I got charged like $8 to have RICE with my CHINESE food?!  Did you already know that I'm horrible at math?  Well, I am - and I didn't really figure it out until I was walking home (I just called my hotel room home - that's pathetic!) happily with my take out.  Eeegads!  But it was GOOD - and the first hot meat I've had in several days.

No comments: