Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Phobias

I don't really have a whole lot in the line of phobias. But let me share a two part story with you about one of my phobias. I kinda freak out about stray, foreign, long hair. Like - someone's hair and I don't know it's origin. I especially fear such hair in food and the shower. I don't know the origins of this fear, only that it strikes deep within my heart to an irrational place.

Two days ago, I was eating breakfast/lunch in my favorite internet buffet. (Yes, you know where this is going.) Well, in order to stretch out the amount of time that I feel comfortable as a patron of said café, I usually eat as SLOWLY as possible. This means that I got my bowl of muesli (granola) and the milk separately. So the milk was in a drinking glass. That way, it's not soggy.

I'm happily typing away on the computer, I half glance at the bowl to steady my spoon for a bite and I put the spoon in my mouth and start chewing. There is a VERY long hair IN MY MOUTH. I have no napkin. I can't just spit, and I have a FULL mouth of food. I'm not sure how to adequately describe it, so let's just say: "It wasn't pretty."

Scene.

This morning, I was in the shower getting ready. Now I'm not a total freak, nor do I think this phobia is completely strange or out of place. But having said phobia, I don't like to touch the walls or curtain in the shower in a foreign hotel room. It's clean in here, but you know what I'm saying I think.

So I'm in a new room the past 2 days and it's not a renovated room and isn't nearly as nice. And the shower is very tiny. You have to stand directly in the center to not touch the walls. I can't bend over to wash my feet really without touching the walls.

Okay - so you know what it's like now.

So I'm in the shower this morning and the person who shares the adjoining room flushed their toilet, or turned on their water or something. This jacked up my water supply and suddenly scalding (and I'm not talking hot, I'm talking flesh peeling scalding) water starts jetting onto my back. So here I am faced with the horror of either flaying my skin off with water or touching the walls/curtain of the shower.

Needless to say I survived the ordeal (I flung myself at the curtain). Now I have a phobia about slimy mildew on shower curtains. I showered again.

No comments: