Sunday, September 03, 2006

isopropyl alcohol is bad for your health

so my dvd player on my laptop decided that it doesn't need to work properly anymore. I thought maybe cleaning it would be helpful... so like any good American boy - I went to get isopopyl alcohol to clean the optical reader...

4 drug stores later... a woman suggests to me to go to the biggest drug store in town and maybe they'll have it. Mind you that I'm explaining what I need in Russian.

So I talk to the lady there - she says that they don't have it, but maybe if I had a prescription for it, they could fill it! It is alcohol by the way. Then she proceeds to tell me that drinking it would make me sick and I should just stick to beer!

Can you believe it?! They thought that my story of cleaning my dvd drive was to try and get high?! I mean, I know I'm wearing a life is good t-shirt (for the third day in a row) but I don't look like a junkie. At least I don't think I look like one.

So I finally found an office supply store with a cd rom cleaner - I paid my $6.50 and bought the dang thing... and then I went back to the room to check and see if I'm in luck.

... and I'm not. It plays the dvd's - and it worked fine two days ago... I think maybe the problem is that the drive isn't spinning fast enough. Maybe it's a real hardware problem! UGH! And because my laptop is super light and a vaio (sony) I think that to get a new drive won't be all that easy... alas. Life continues to be complicated. But I'm in good spirits.

No comments: