Monday, September 11, 2006

Liturgy

I found an English speaking Sunday service.  Yes!  It was in an old, beautiful church and they actually had communion too.  The sermon was actually very dry and incredibly short (about 5 minutes) because the entire service was liturgy.  So I just enjoyed the feel of a very old, established place of G-d and pr-yed mostly.  They did offer communion to anyone who is baptized and believes in the Trinity.  So I went.  This is the funny part of this story.  Why didn't I think about the fact that the grape juice was going to be wine?  Why didn't I just breathe in through my nose as the cup was placed at my lips?  I don't know.  But let's just say that when someone gulps and sputters during communion it sort of attracts attention and looks strange.

 

Hi, I'm Jeff - the American who can't take a drink out of a cup!  Gawsh (that was from Napoleon Dynamite)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) this must be some sort of recurring theme! my church got me last week too! there WAS grape juice, i just got the words for left and right confused....also my little sister was at an Episcopalian Church in PA this weekend and chickened out of the wine at the last minute. she probably made less of a scene than either of us!

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

Glad to hear you can go home. You'll be there to provide moral support for Jim & Sally as they do what they must do.

So not many recovering alcoholics can go to that Episcopalian Church huh? You probably have heard the quote: one drink is too many and 10 are not enough. I'll explain the implications if you're curious as to how that applies.