Tuesday, November 28, 2006

If you Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get out of the Boat

I'm reading this book by John Ortberg right now and I have to say after the preface and the first chapter, I not only thank Michelle Kramer for giving it to me, but also recommend it to you. You'll probably be hearing a bit about it in the next weeks as I continue reading it, but here are a few initial thoughts.

There is a consistent pattern in Scr!pture of what happens in a life that G0d wants to use and improve:

- there is always a call
- there is always fear
- there is always reassurance
- there is always a decision
- there is always a changed Life

Those divinely appointed defining moments will come to you and me. ... And if you're not looking for him, you just might miss him.

Before Peter gets out of the boat, he had better make sure Jes^s thinks it's a good idea. So he asks for clarity, "If it is you, command me...."

If you Want to Walk on the Water, You have to Get out of the Boat. What's your boat? Your boat is whatever represents safety and security to you apart from G0d himself. Your boat is whatever you are tempted to put your trust in, especially when life gets a little stormy. Your boat is whatever keeps you so comfortable that you don't want to give it up eve if it's keeping you from joining Jes^s on the waves. Your boat is whatever pulls you away from the high adventure of extreme discipleship.

Want to know what your boat is? Your fear will tell you. Just ask yourself this: What is it that most produces fear in me - especially when I think of leaving it behind and stepping out in faith?

Good stuff, huh?

No comments: