Friday, November 24, 2006

Yellow Fever or the Innoculation episode

I had a very interesting trip to the hospital yesterday. They had the stuff for me to got inoculated against yellow fever! So here's how it went down:

Direct to the second floor to the room where we were told to get the shot. We waited for about 10 minutes until we bumped into someone who had already paid. So we went down to the first floor to pay at the cashier. We didn't have the right type of bill though, so we had to go to the second floor to get that one. But the person wasn't in their office, so we had to go to the third floor for her and then back to the second. There we waited for her. And she wrote the bill. Then it was back to the first floor to pay and then back to the second and the third and then the second. Then the certificates were filled out and we headed to a different office to get the shot. After the shot we went to a third office on the second floor to get stamps put into our immunization record booklets.

Isn't that crazy?! This is fairly typical for Russians when heading to the doctor. I'm not sure of exactly why so many people are involved, but I think it has something to do with keeping specialized skilled workers doing only specialized work and not pushing paper and making change.

So today I woke up and I wasn't feeling very well. I checked my temperature and it was up, but nothing to be really worried about. I had a headache too, but these were possible symptoms that the nurse told me to expect. So I drank a WHOLE bunch of water and tea and went back to bed for 2 hours.

Temperature is still elevated a little bit, but I'm feeling a LOT better! AND I get to go to Africa in 17 days and spend Christmas with Amy!

No comments: