Thursday, March 01, 2007

Pedagogue?

Who knew that I would ever learn the Russian word for pedagogue? It's really the exact same word in Russian, but strange to learn it. I'll tell the tale.

You'll remember that on Monday I taught a mini English lesson to a group of perspective college students at the University. So I taught my little lesson on the pronunciation of the sound /th/ and how it's very important. The typical error of the Russian speaker would be do say either /s/ or /f/ because they have no /th/ sound in Russian. So with the world think, we suddenly get sink or fink. The rector of the university, my Russian teacher, and several university officials were also there. So a couple days later when I show up for my Russian lesson, Tatiana tells me that I'm a pedagogue, a naturally gifted teacher. What a compliment!! She's such an excellent teacher. It really made me feel great, especially coming out of a Russian lesson where she threw like 50 new verb idioms at me and gave me an 'easy' assignment of 20 grammar exercises (I got 19 or 20 WRONG). So anyway, it was nice to hear.

No comments: