Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Ayiesha Woods! Wow.

Wed 3/21

So I bought myself a small present. On the internet, I downloaded a new CD. Gosh, how I love iTunes and the ability to stay connected with my love of music. Okay - so I'd like to introduce you to Ayiesha Woods. Her first and debut album, Intoducing Ayiesha Woods, is INCREDIBLE. Please go out and buy it at once. I'm really not kidding. It's that perfect blend of boppy, poppy, interesting rhythms and soul seeking, deep, thoughtful that makes an entire ALBUM. I'm particularly found of Happy, Crazy, Days, and Beauty. Did I mention she's Jamaican?

I was having a tough time earlier this week emotionally, spiritually, etc. It's really hard being so far away from Amy, family, friends, my own culture. I love it here, I love the work that I do, and I know that it's valuable and I'm making a difference. Sometimes, it's just the feelings that get messed up… just because you're not at home or in your own culture, or because you said something stupid because it's not your native language… but these songs have put huge joy back into my heart and a bop into my step… I'm actually thinking of trying to write her a letter to thank her… here's a lyric sample:

-- Days --

Ever had a day
When you're on such a spiritual high
When you're feeling strong cause you've got all of heaven on your side
Ever had a day
When your confidence is high
And you feel like nothing can make you fall or even compromise

But what about those days
When you're not feeling so strong
And you cry ‘cause you don't know what to do feeling like you're all alone

Don't you wish that every day was an easy day
And there was nothing that you couldn't do
But if every day was an easy day
You'd never be able to say that Jesus brought you through

No comments: