Friday, February 16, 2007

To Talitsa on the Electric Train

So there was LOTS and lots of talk before Igor and I boarded the electrichka (electric train) about how it could be dirty, cold, smelly, and really packed with people. Turns out it was clean, new, nicely warmed and full of friendly people (even though over half the men were drinking beer). Really the only annoying thing was about 30 minutes of bad Russian dance music played on someone's cell phone.

The ride to Talitsa was 2.25 hours and went much quicker than I thought it would. Igor and I struck up a great conversation with topics ranging from movies he's seen recently, to super powers we would choose for ourselves (I had just seen the newest Superman movie), to electronics, computers and our mentorship relationship together. I am SO thankful that I can even have these conversations with him. Just a year ago, I can't imagine that we'd have talked about technology and the speed of a computer or the amount of Gigabytes on an iPod. Oh, incidentally, he chose never dying and no experience of physical pain as his super power. I chose the ability to close my eyes and change my physical location (and the location of anyone touching me) to any place I can think of). That way - I can go and visit Amy or America or Russia any time!)

We arrived safely and were immediate met with a delicious Russian meal (Igor's mom, Galina, is a trained chef!)

No comments: