Tuesday, February 27, 2007

System without a System

This was the joke that we discussed today at the University. 3 other teachers and I were having a good laugh at the system collapse. Turns out that my Thursday evening class and that of 2 other teachers all overlap with the SAME students. That's why last week and this week I had no students for one of my lessons.

We also had a good laugh (after a bit of frustration from me) when I couldn't figure out what room my lessons were in. See on odd weeks and even weeks the classroom locations may change. They don't always, but they can. Or maybe there's another teacher who just decided to stay in the room where you're supposed to be teaching. I don't even know what to do in these situations. I just do my best to communicate that I need the room and that it's assigned to me. I do my best to NOT play the American card… but I'm afraid that my accent might give that away for me.

I'm really trying to let go of my expectations and the things that I know are 'right' and 'wrong' and learn to view them as 'different,' because really that's what a LOT of this is. I still think that cheating is wrong, not different. But the way rooms are scheduled and controlled, isn't wrong, maybe inefficient, but certainly different.

No comments: