Saturday, February 17, 2007

On Being Famous for a Day

Pretty much anyone who knows me, is not surprised to learn that I'm an extrovert. However, somehow I've managed to pick up some shyness or something about being the sole focus of attention for large amounts of time. Especially when it's just because I'm American and I've done nothing to particularly draw attention to myself.

So Zoya, the English teacher in the Troitsky village (it's near Talitsa) invited me to come and speak to her English students. Turns out, it was a little bit more than the English competition I was expecting. Students had been invited from 6 different schools to gather together for an entire afternoon's field trip to "Meet the American." This was our schedule:

• School Tour with the Director (Principal)
• Dance concert of school students
• What do you know about the USA competition
• Award presentation for the game winners
• Press Conference with yours truly
• Autograph session with special guest

And I'm not kidding or exaggerating. It was so fun and tiring. The students were really great. The dancing was surprisingly awesome. Everyone from little 8 year olds up to 16! I'll post some pictures. Igor's youngest brother Daniel's dance group was a HIT! They were little soldier acrobats! Really cool.

No comments: