Sunday, February 25, 2007

Even more language blunders

So the cookies I made a week ago were a really big hit. Everyone wants the recipe. So I worked to write it out, had Zhanna proofread it for me and at the last minute decided to title the recipe: Jeff's cookies. Well, turns out I wrote Jeff's Liver. Печени instead of печенье. Sounds almost identical.

This morning at ch^rch, like on most Sundays, I carry the offering plate during the service. Well, I don't know the word for offering plate, so I thought - tray. Well, did you know that the Russian word for tray and diarrhea are different by only one letter? Поднос and понос. I'm such a lucky man.

So I think nearly purposefully today during B!ble study Zhanna through an English version of this into the mix to make me feel better… Ehud is from Brazil and has a slight accent. Mostly it comes through on vowels and a few consonants. Well, when he said cloak today, Zhanna heard clock. Isn't it amazing what just a tiny vowel sound can do to meaning?

No comments: