Monday, February 19, 2007

Jeff and his meeting with Mr. Murphy

When I did my Russian homework today and the topic was, "If you knew the world was going to end tomorrow, what would you do," I should have started wondering about my day. But I didn't.

When I left the apartment and there was SMOKE coming from a crack in the earth near the apartment in the middle of a -15 degree Fahrenheit day, I should have starting thinking that it could be that kind of day. But I didn't.

I went to my Russian lesson and it went pretty well, although most of the time I leave with my brain feeling fried. Today we covered present participles and two kinds of past participles and also talked about something that I don't know the English words for! Tatiana has decided that I can handle 15 minutes more each lesson, so I'm studying 45 minutes more each week (which is great on one hand), but my brain fries pretty much every lesson now.

Tonight at English Discussion club we're discussing values for WEEK 4! And we decided to have a potluck, so I promised banana bread and a special cookie concoction (Amy Russell cookies for those that know them, but I had to modify them a bit because of lack of ingredients. They are still delicious!)

Turns out my brown sugar was dried up since Thursday. So I had to outfit myself once again against the cold and head to the store. I got the brown sugar and headed home. Ehud and I were in the kitchen laughing that I was having "one of those days" when I was making the dough. Butter, peanut butter, vanilla, sugar, brown sugar, eggs… eggs? We're out of eggs!

So I figure this just is supposed to be that kind of day. So I ran to the closest store (literally less than a block). And I couldn't get the door to open. That's when I saw the sign. Closed until 3:30. Well it was 2:15! So I trekked up the street to the next closest store maybe 10 minutes further on. I was SO thankful that they had eggs. The woman presented them to me in their little bag and I declined her offer to buy a carton.

And the bag ripped open on the steps.

I bought more eggs. I bought the carton too.

I baked cookies. I only burned one batch.

I'm afraid to leave the apartment later to go to English lessons and Discussion club. Here's to the scissor kick that comes with slipping on the ice and making it there and back in one piece! (I'm trying to keep good humor!)

No comments: