Monday, December 11, 2006

People Watching

This is a skill I am so thankful to have developed. I remember the first time I heard this term. It was in 1982 at the Knoxville World's Fair. Do we still have a world's fair? We were sitting around a fountain eating Petros (sudden food craving: chili, server over fritos or better yet in a fritos bag - with sour cream on top) and being a typical 10 year old, I was realy to go on the move. But the family was resting and people watching. I remember being bored. And now I know why. I was only looking for people just like me. Kids- looking for the familiar. I'm sitting at Domededova airport in Moscow right now and it's FASCINATING.

Click click click click … a Russian woman dressed to impress or seduce someone… How do they walk in those things? And don't tell me that they're comfortable. Habiba, the director of Lingva (my University job) HAS to wear heels now because her feel can't deal with flat shoes!

Jingle jingle jingle - a man's keys as he nervously ticks waiting for someone. Is he excited or nervous? Is it love - now that's my own life entering the story, but isn't that how it always is? We can't hardly help, but interject our own lives & history into what we see and experience.

Presents just went by. It's Dec 11 & New Year isn't for 30 days - but giving is here - talk about a holiday that's been moved - Christmas is on New Year's and isn't about J-sus anymore. I digress.

A mom just walked by with her baby strapped on. How do parents choose how to carry their babies? Front or back? Carriage or stroller?

I like imagining their lives. I think Qatar will be interesting.

No comments: