Sunday, October 29, 2006

It's 4:48am or The Second One Where Jeff is awakened by the Garbage Men

brightness piercing through my slitted eyes, I am desperately sad that I'm not sleeping right now. I've been awake for about 30 minutes and it's the middle of the night. It's almost 5am and the garbage men have been banging stuff around for about 20 minutes.

they didn't wake me up this morning - they just kept me up. mosquitos woke me up. can you believe it? it's nearly november and I am being eaten alive by mosquitos inside my apartment. it's my own fault - you see, it's VERY hot in my apartment, so I opened the balcony door so i could sleep. the poisonous fumes of the mosquito killer seem to not be working and I've been quite itchy this morning.

so I finally got up and nuked a mug of milk in an attempt to triptophan myself back to sleep - I'd eat a turkey leg too if I had one. I don't like missing out on sleep. I worry that I might be cranky without a few more winks to my credit.

there's a fun story behind the mug of milk through. it's a starbucks mug. it's beautiful, a warm, dark brown with diamond indentations, swirled with blue-green glaze... it's a present from Amy. She loves Starbucks. It's the mocha that kidnapped her affections from me... well, I guess her love affair with mochas started before we met, but I'm firm in my resolve to one day win out over the love of chocolate...

I think the mug is an incredible display of love. not only is my primary love language gifts, but Amy sent me something from her own place of solitude and refuge. Starbucks isn't just a caffeine fix for Amy, but a haven where she retreats to read and spend time with G-d. And the fact that she SHIPPED it to me all the way from America just before she left for Kenya multiplies the love. She's great.

... and I feel really loved drinking warm milk.

No comments: