Friday, October 27, 2006

Down Coats and Public Health Initiatives or the One Where Jeff Goes Shopping for a Down Coat and Finds out about Shots for Africa

So, Zhanna accompanied me today to the public health center for the Tyumen region so that I could speak with the lady who signs a piece of paper so that I can go to another office and pay money to go back and get another piece of paper that says that I can go somewhere else to get a shot so that I can go to Kenya and see Amy for Christmas. It really is like that. Turns out I only need one new shot and to start taking malaria pills. I understood about 75% of what she told me too. Zhanna was awesome and didn't translate for me unless I needed help or was confused. It's really great, because this way I'm learning to fend for myself instead of needing to be constantly reliant on others. Like teaching someone to fish, instead of just giving them one fish. Really great.

So anyway - she scared Zhanna and I both pretty good about how serious Yellow Fever is and that I might even feel sick for 3 or 4 days after just the shot (which is a live, but weakened version of the virus! I'll be fine of course, but it's just scary. She also said that I could be sore. I need to check, because I thought maybe I needed to get a shot for Meningitis too… sounds VERY painful.

Then we started a chase to find a down coat for me that will help me to survive the winter here. My coat isn't good enough to cut it in the winter here… I think I literally tried on 20 different coats before we found one that fit, looked good, and meet with Sasha and Zhanna's strict requirements. Down, cuffs, butt flap long enough to cover my rump, deep pockets, fur lined hood, and pockets on the inside (for cell phone etc). We did it! My coat was made in Finland and will keep me VERY warm. I'm so thankful that I'm almost prepared for the cold onslaught that will be coming! It'll be so funny when I travel to and from Africa and Russia with a HUGE coat!

No comments: