Friday, April 06, 2007

Pook pook

What a funny story to share with you today. When joining a new culture there are so many things that we need to learn. Certainly the language, words, grammar, etc. comes first. Then we add on some customs (like never give even numbers of flowers unless it's a funeral!), and what kinds of food are good to eat, bring a bit of food when you visit someone's house, etc. And then there are gestures and sounds.

As I was installing an email program for the cultural center staff to use today, I was just making noises as I clicked the mouse. I was making a noise that I'd heard a child use. "pook, pook" I thought it was just some noise….

Turns out it the noise that expulsions of gas make from one's rear end. Вот так вот. I don't know how to say that in English. Maybe, that's just the way it is. Laugh with me my friends!

The funniest part was probably the distinguished Galina very delicately, and gently describing to me that it was an inappropriate sound for the office and what it really was used for in Russian!

No comments: