Thursday, April 05, 2007

American Corner

Today Zhanna and I took an excursion to "The American Corner" here in Tyumen. It's a small sub library from one of the libraries here in the city. They have lots of books and some media materials. I was frankly a little disappointed, I thought they would have more programs and some interesting materials… but it was really an INFORMATIONAL place only, so mostly history, government, politics and business stuff. I was hoping for a few more novels or things like that. The woman who runs the place was very excited to talk with us and showed us photographs of herself and every US consulate she's ever seen! I think I just had my expectations set too high that their library would be like our library at the cultural center only with different books. Alas. She was very nice and I think would make a good contact in the future though. I bet we could do some programming together with her.

Getting to and from the American Corner… that, however is an interesting story. Spring has sprung and Zhanna and I had our adventures cut out for us as it was literally an OLYMPIC event getting there and back. We had to cross bogs of mud, hurdle puddles of water, brave the Tyumen bus system, cross perilous streets with hurtling vehicles, skate across ponds of ice AND find the building. We had a couple good laughs on our way there, and the way home… I got another lucky ticket on the bus (really it was Zhanna's, but she gave it to me!) If I remember, I'll right you about lucky tickets soon…

No comments: