Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Victory Day





Russia celebrates Victory Day on May 9 to commemorate the millions who gave their lives during World War II. Flowers and wreaths are laid on wartime graves on this day, and veterans come out into the streets wearing their military orders and medals.

There was an AMAZING parade today. I think it probably lasted for 2 or 3 hours! It was really cool. Here are some pictures. The Irony might be that I honestly felt pride for Russia's contribution in World War II. Really, in so many ways, the war turned because of them (I almost typed us…whoa). I also felt America pride at the same time… it's strange becoming a person who loves two countries. But it's true.

(this is my univeristy! two of my students are carrying the banner)

(when the spectators get cold...)

No comments: