Thursday, May 03, 2007

Sasha's b-day

3/5

Today was so much fun. Do you have one of those friends who is just incredibly difficult to find a present for? That's Sasha. He really has everything that he wants and needs already. So I was flailing around trying to think of a gift for his birthday and it was REALLY hard. In fact, I was nearly at my wits end, because I'm the type of person who like to give the PERFECT present.

Well, I had a few ideas, so I was bouncing them around with Zhanna to see which would be the best option. Strike 1, strike 2, strike 3 -- you're OUT! She gave me a suggestion that Sasha had a really cool mechanical pencil/pen combo that broke a while ago. So, I set out upon the quest. Needless to say, I couldn't find one. I did find a cool mechanical pencil… but I really wanted to do something special and cool. I had a few other small aces up my sleeve, but I started to think of the perfect accompaniment for the pen…

Sasha is a pretty organized guy (the only Russian I know who effectively uses a palm computer like a pro (he helped me fix mine today)). So I set about creating a planner for him. I put together some ideas that I've had for a while for a planner and viola! Groovy presents 101.

I think he really like it too.

Have you read the book, The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman? Highly recommended. Anyway - the languages are: physical touch, quality time, words of affirmation, service, and gifts. So gifts is the thing that I really jive with (sometimes I feel shallow about this, but I am who G0d made me to be) and I really like making something for folks when it really works. And I really wanted to express my appreciation of how much our friendship means to me, so it was great that he liked his gifts.

We shared a nice meal together, had tea and a prune pie (it was good, don't let your discrimination for prunes get in the way of how tasty it was) and we also shared LOTS of laughter.

No comments: