Monday, January 30, 2006

Scum of the Earth

Tonight a group of us from MTI went to a church in Denver called, Scum of the Earth. It was an incredible experience. I've never attended a more friendly or accepting church in all my life. The Church is based in the verses from 1 Corinthians 4:11-13 which say:

11To this very hour we go hungry and thirsty, we are in rags, we are brutally treated, we are homeless. 12We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; 13when we are slandered, we answer kindly. Up to this moment we have become the scum of the earth, the refuse of the world.

The worship was simply yet haunting. I don't know if the songs are in the mainstream, except one that has been covered by David Crowder Band, "Thank you for hearing me." The message was really simple - the story of Saul of Tarsis on the Damascus Road before he was the apostle Paul. The pastor spoke about how everyone has a commission that comes with conversion. "Nothing is frivolous in God's economy," was the quote that stuck me most. He said to take advantage of your past. It really made me think about parts of my past that I might want to discount or forget about and how what may have been intended for bad, can be used for good.

Amy was telling me about her reading in Genesis from the other week and here it is: Genesis 50:20

"You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives." (this is from the story of Joseph who was sold into slavery by his brothers, who eventually became the right hand man of Pharoh.)

After the church service we went as a group to a Greek diner called Pete's. It really reminded me of the scene La Vie Boheme from the musical/movie Rent. Just a bunch of young, outcasts of the world hanging out together - only in this case they were talking about God. Cool.

Everyone was so welcoming, it was really an incredible time to be with the body of Christ. I'm a missionary supported by the prayers of the members of Scum of the Earth. Really, it's reframing my thoughts about how the Christian body can powerfully impact the lives of those in need.

No comments: