Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Language Learning, Coffee, and Running

It's been an interesting week thusfar. We're continuing with all of our language learning. Lots of phonetics drills and ideas for how to learn a foreign language before you're in country and once you arrive.

I think my favorite ideas have revolved around playing games to increase your vocabulary. The husband and wife team that are teaching us have been teaching language to missionaries since the YEAR BEFORE I WAS BORN! wow. Is that the coolest thing ever?

I'll admit that sometimes the lessons are a bit boring, but that's neither here nor there. That's about me focusing and paying attention.

There's a group of us that go out almost every evening to do our homework (or just hang out) at Starbucks (I'm still not drinking coffee - so don't anyone worry).

The food has been incredible, so starting to be smart about food consumption has become a critical issue. So I'm following Kevin's advice of only one (or less) high calorie beverage per day -- I'm eating salad for dessert (you can convince yourself that it's yummy -- especially when they have beets and cottage cheese). Don't think I'm totally depriving myself - dessert once a day is okay!

No comments: