Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Hostage

Today during our training we were all part of an intense simulation. We were taken hostage in a foreign country where we don’t speak the language. We were divided into two groups of about 15 each and moved into an “attic.” It was dark, cramped, and certainly started getting warm inside. We were only held for about 1.5 hours there, but several situations were given to us to solve. We needed to organize ourselves, decide if we would allow another group of 5 to join us (with unknown allegiances), decide who would be allowed to go on a rescue plane, and determine who would be executed when they came to kill some of us.

The encouraged us to really engage in the activity and to not remind ourselves that we were just in a simulation. I had to remind myself several times, but it was really a powerful experience. It was amazing being trapped with people who believe the same as I do. Although we felt helpless, we did not feel hopeless. It was also very interesting to go through this experience directly following two days of training on conflict.

My personal style of conflict is called “fox.” This style prefers to negotiate, collaborate and reach consensus. In times of stress, or when I’m in a position of authority, I tend to exhibit behaviors of the “shark” conflict group. This style is much more direct and aggressive about bringing up the conflict and resolving it quickly (but might step on folks in the process). The academic learning is really great, but the experiential practical use during the simulation was really educational.

When the first two hostages were taken out to be shot and I was appointed leader, I was surprised at the emotions I was feeling. I felt a tremendous sense of responsibility and I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to protect those entrusted to me. Then the gunshots went off and Hugo and Andrew were gone. My shoulders just started shaking with the impact. Yes, it’s a simulation – but they gave their lives to protect those of us remaining. Then the guards came back and needed two more volunteers. Suddenly, I was lying on the ground dead. I actually felt a sense of peace at that point – but really it was a selfish peace. For me it was over, but the others were left behind. I’m still processing through the feelings and intensity of the situation, but I’m glad for the experience.

NOTE: I’m not expecting to have to experience any kind of hostage situation, but I’m glad to have the opportunity to be prepared and to think about a few things first. Apparently the movie, Gorillas in their Midst, is supposed to be an interesting documentary on hostage situations. I think I’ll try to watch it.

1 comment:

2_TallMD said...

Wow Jeff - That sounds intense.