Thursday, February 21, 2008

Flexibility - a piece of my own medicine

So, I almost always share with mission teams that, "flexibility is our friend and expectation is our enemy." It's a really good motto - especially when you're moving across the world, or taking a family of 8 to Siberia, or a group of 11 high school students.

Sometimes we work and plan and plan and work and our best efforts are thwarted by circumstances. And because of other things going on in our lives (like searching for your replacement at work, having the walls of your house stripped of wallpaper - but not yet painted, plumbers coming, and leaving town for the weekend to visit family, celebrate birthdays, speak at churches..........

....... aaaaaaaargh.

Amy and I need to learn to say no better. And with just one year in the States, it's really hard. When do you say no? To family? To work? To Mission? To relaxation? To repairing the house to sell (or rent?)

....... aaaaaaaargh. (the screaming helps)

It's late, I'm overwhelmed, and probably just overreacting. I NEVER exaggerate.

I'll instead quote some favorite song lyrics - "Days" by Ayiesha Woods

Don't you wish that every day was an easy day
And there was nothing that you couldn't do
But if every day was an easy day
You'd never be able to say that Jesus brought you through

That's the best thing about today - Jesus brought me though. So I'll be here again tomorrow and there will be a smile on my face. It does rock to be following after God who understands.

Oh - and the best news of the day... 7 happily married months.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, I haven't met you or Amy, but I attend Common Ground in Indy and have been reading your blog for a while now. I can't fully relate to your current situation, but perhaps you have some supporters and friends who could carry some of your weight and give you more time for the important things.