Friday, February 15, 2008

Binge Chilling

I just read an article forwarded to me by my supervisor about Balance at Work. It was really interesting especially because it pointed out that many folks are choosing to NOT advance at work to higher level positions, because of the sacrifices required at home or in their personal lives!

Balance? It's a foreign word to most people. It's something that Amy and I are constantly striving for. We actually sat down in January and made a 5 month calendar to BLOCK off some weekends and nights to just be together and chill at home.

And we're struggling to do it. This weekend is one of the 'black x' weekends in our calendar. We've been invited to participate in at least SIX activities this weekend, and we feel like we've done a good job choosing to not do some of them... but others we are STILL doing... so much for BLACK X's...

How do we make priorities and resolve the issue when our priorities are in conflict. Amy and I are home for just one year and our priority is on our spiritual lives, our marriage, and connecting with family and friends while we're home. But we are still very involved in ministry work (Amy spends about 35 hours a week with Russian lessons and homework).

Sorry - I feel like I'm about to step up on the soap box... the point of this post is to share:

"Indeed, balancing work and life may not be as difficult as you think. I recently learned about a great concept called binge chillin'. They say that to binge chill (BC) is to do whatever you want, as long as it is not work-related, for a minimum of 24 hours-without guilt!" - from NASPA Forum

I think that Binge Chillin' is what Amy and I had planned for the Black X days -- but I'm not sure that Binge anything is really healthy for us... it's just catching us up from an unhealthy lifestyle with TOO much in it.

We need to plan times for our spouses, families, friends - ourselves, and most importantly the reflective, introspective time we all need with God.

No comments: