Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Mosquitoes in the cul-de-sac

Did you know that I’m a light sleeper? I guess it’s something that lots of folks just don’t know about other people -- our sleep patterns. Well, I’m such a light sleeper that I routinely travel with ear plugs and an eye mask. Wow, that’s like a secret confession or something. Any way. Mosquitoes are really bad in Russia – even in the city and it’s actually incredibly common for people to have anti mosquito repellant stuff in their homes. I’ve got this little contraption that I plug into the wall at light that lasts for 30 nights to kill mosquitoes while I’m sleeping… somehow they still manage to buzz in my ear though. (yes, with the earplugs in – and yes, the windows are closed too…)

Oh, my flat has an awesome location too. It’s on the second floor (so nice in a building without an elevator). And it’s on the end of the building (called a house here). So I’m on the end of the building where they pick up trash every other day at about 5:30 in the morning. And it’s also near the park in our yard where the young people hang out until 3 in the morning. Which is really great for my Russian practice as I’m listening to them talking sometimes.

Please know that I’m writing all of this with a smile on my face and sarcasm. Everything is really great! I’m getting enough rest, although I’m thinking that the custom of napping in the afternoon for a bit is a really, really good idea. Did I mention that language learning and acculturation are both really exhausting? It’s going great though.





Here's me and Amy taping my bed cushions together so I can sleep through the night




They separate in the middle of the night and I wake up when my butt sags!

No comments: