Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter

The singular greatest day of the year. On this day some 2000 years ago, the Universe changed forever. Most Christians seem to think that Christmas is the holiday to celebrate - and I do love presents. And it is the day Jesus was born (well, you know, when we celebrate it in America and some other countries). But, Easter is the one that makes the difference.

When I think of denial of self, I think of things like, "should I eat this cupcake?", "maybe another mile and I can push a little harder," or if I'm really denying self, "I should send some money to someone in need," or "my time could really make a difference if I spent it in service."

No - I'm talking real self denial here. Knowing that I need to forgo every temptation, every desire to be selfish, to do what I want, when I want... and to go to the extreme measure and give my very life in the most gruesome way... I wish I could say that I would have done the same - that I have the character to resist myself that much... I know I couldn't have done what Jesus did for me.

I seriously just struggle not having more chocolate. I don't mean to be irreverent here. I really am just learning that although I have discipline, I have a long way to go - and a lot more to learn about living for others.

Bless Amy for putting up with me - I'm trying!

No comments: